Making wise food choices and being focused on living a healthy lifestyle are key elements to avoiding age-related chronic conditions such as osteoporosis, obesity, and hypertension. Though aging is inevitable, healthy aging by taking care of your physical, mental, and cognitive health, helps you maintain your quality of life as you age. Growing older with a healthy body and mind is possible with a healthy lifestyle. Eating a balanced diet and taking care of your nutritional needs by eating healthy food is crucial for taking care of your health as you age.
Carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals are essential nutrients obtained from our diet. It is necessary to have a balance of these nutrients in our diet. To obtain these essential nutrients, include the foods listed here in your diet:
- Variety of vegetables and fruits
- Whole grains
- Sources of proteins such as eggs, fish, lean meat, nuts, seeds, beans, soy products, lentils, tofu, and low-fat dairy products.
- Sources of unsaturated fats such as olive oil, salmon, sardines, corn oil, and avocado.
- Calcium-rich food such as low-fat dairy products, and leafy greens.
Water is essential for life and has a vital role in several functions of our body. Not drinking enough water can cause dehydration which can damage our health. It is important to keep drinking water in the required amounts throughout the day. Food rich in water content such as broths, soups, and fresh fruit juices, helps to avoid dehydration.
Food to avoid or limit
- Food loaded with sugar such as doughnuts and sugary pastries.
- High sodium foods such as potato chips and canned food.
- Highly processed food.
- Deep-fried food
- Food high in saturated fats such as cream, lard, ice cream, and palm oil.
Pack your diet with nutritious food and eat different sources of nutrients in moderation to maintain a balance. Combine your healthy diet with some physical activity and a healthy lifestyle which will promote healthy aging and help you to make the most of your life.