We often eat more than the amount of salt our body needs to stay healthy, without realizing it most of the time! It is necessary to check our salt intake and cut back on excess salt so that we avoid putting ourselves in danger that arises from the intake of excess salt/ sodium. Have you heard of or come across the consequences of following diets with excessive amounts of salt?
To put it in a nutshell, overconsumption of salt over long periods of time could cause a rise in blood pressure, a high risk of stroke, headaches, kidney problems, and osteoporosis. When your body isn’t able to eliminate the excess salt you take in, sodium starts building up in the body. This causes trouble to your organs such as the heart and kidneys.
Here are a few tips that could help you in cutting down the intake of excess salt:
- As much as possible try not to go for salted, cured, or processed food.
- Limit the use of readymade sauces, dressings, salty seasonings, and canned soups.
- Minimize your consumption of instant and fast food.
- Make it a point whenever possible, to buy fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat.
- Prefer healthy snacking over packaged snacks or savories.
- Check the labels of food packages before purchase.
A small change that you make in your eating habits, will contribute remarkably to your health and wellbeing. Make a choice today to watch your salt intake and bring about a positive change in your diet to stay healthy and happy.