There are innumerable ways and methods that parents adopt to strengthen their children’s immunity and physical health. We focus on natural food, healthy ingredients, physical exercise, eating on time, healthy snacking, and many more healthy ways. Do we give equal importance to the emotional health and well-being of our children? The ability to manage emotions as well as to understand the emotions of others is emotional intelligence. It is necessary to strengthen the emotional intelligence of children so that they stay healthy not only physically, but also emotionally and are able to have successful personal and professional lives.
Children with emotional intelligence are able to make better life decisions without giving in to the influence of negative moments. They are able to sail through the tough times in life, with faith and courage. They communicate well and are able to empathize with others. Emotional intelligence equips them to handle challenges better and emerge stronger. It helps them manage stress and difficulties better.
Here’s how you can strengthen your children’s emotional intelligence
- Allow them to express their feelings and don’t judge them based on how they feel.
- Acknowledge their feelings and let them know that you do understand, using a positive response.
- Listen to their side of the story and what they have to say, before taking a decision or coming to a conclusion.
- Teach them gently, about handling negative emotions positively and the skills to overcome negativity instead of holding on to it.
- Teach them not to judge people but to use experiences as lessons for life.
- Be a role model and an example for them to learn from.
- Allow them to socialize and encourage empathizing with others.
Emotional intelligence is essential for the healthy development of children. It gives them strength and hope to navigate through the situations in life and successfully handle circumstances that can’t be predicted beforehand. It also enables them to interact better in family and society. Work on your child’s emotional intelligence and equip him/her to solve problems peacefully and effectively without disturbing his/her confidence and goals.