There are many common improper eating habits such as snacking round the clock, under eating, over eating, eating food that is poor in nutrition, skipping meals, binge eating and, eating in a hurry, that trigger several health problems over a period of time. There could be many reasons that cause us to choose such eating habits. Regardless of the reasons, it is crucial to remind ourselves often, that such eating habits could cost us our health.
Our eating habits have a significant role in maintaining our health throughout life and avoiding certain diseases. Healthy eating habits enable our body to function well, which helps us stay healthy and active. Food that is poor in nutrients and high in fats, salt, sugar, artificial flavors, and chemical additives increases your risk of obesity, heart disease, inflammation, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, tooth decay and other health problems.
- If you are trying to lose weight, skipping a meal, especially breakfast isn’t a good idea, as it could make you overeat later on during the rest of the day. Rather, focus on portion control and healthy eating, that will gradually but definitely bring about the positive change in your health.
- Give up eating in front of the screen and turn off screens when you eat. This will help you avoid mindless eating.
- Start making better and healthier food choices. This will help you obtain nutrients from your diet and avoid food that has empty calories.
- Make time to sit down and eat. Avoid the habit of eating on the go. When you eat in the car, or as you walk, it is easy to take in excessive calories and to opt food that satisfies your taste buds, but doesn’t contribute to your health.
- Sleep well every night, as fatigue can lead to overeating.
- Plan your meals/ snacks in advance and stick to your plan.
Don’t let your eating pattern stand in the way of a healthy life. Make an eating plan and include healthier versions of your favorite food in your plan. Making better eating choices with controlled portion size and nutritious food nourishes your health and helps you grow healthy, active and happy.